The original free instant messaging, video conferencing and internet phone tool, usable on desktop computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets, and all for free. There is a premium version for a small monthly subscription that allows video conference calls and a few other fringe benefits, including calls to landlines in a single country.
Simply sign up for the service and download the software (for computers) or app (for phones and tablets), then find your contacts to begin communicating with them.
- Free version has comprehensive features.
- Usable on most portable devices that can connect to the internet.
- Simple to use and easy to learn.
- You can send files and even share your screen with someone.
- The interface varies across different devices and operating systems, which can be confusing.
- Call quality depends on the bandwidth of your internet connection, so don't expect HD TV quality or CD quality sound.
- You can call landlines anywhere in the world for a few pence per minute, but calls to mobiles may be quite expensive. You need to buy phone credit in advance.
We are also experimenting with google hangouts courtesy of a local school who have developed it as an impressive communications vehicle linking parents staff and pupils. The picture quality for the advice session we ran with them was excellent.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 12:22
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 15:00
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 09:01