By registering on Community How To, you won’t just be reading the content - you can really get involved.
- Rate tools
- Add comments to Tools and Case studies
- Mark which digital tools you’re already using
- Offer your expertise and help others follow in your footsteps
- Ask for help and pick the brains of other experts
- Start a discussion
- Join a conversation
- Tell us your news
- Get involved!
How do I register?
From the Home page simply click on ‘Register’
Under the ‘Register’ tab enter:
- a Username (this can be whatever you like but it is better if you use your name) and;
- your email address (this will be required to validate the new account and receive messages from the website).
You are asked if you want to create your Profile page now - Yes/No?. You can do this now or when you log back in at a later date.
Click on the ‘Register’ button to continue
You will need to verify your email address by going to your email and clicking on the link provided in the email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your account is verified you will be registered as a user on the website.
How do I Login?
To login to the website click on ‘Login’ next to Register on the top menu bar.
What if I forget my password?
You can request a new password by clicking on ‘Login’ then selecting the ‘Request new password’ tab.
Enter your email address and an email will be sent to it. Go to your email and open up the email from email@example.com. You will be sent a link to click on which will allow you log in then create a new password. You MUST create the new password as you will only be able to login once this way.
When you have created the new password and then click on ‘Save’ to continue.
How do I view my profile?
To view your profile simply login to the website.
To view your profile at anytime whilst you are logged in click on ‘My account’ next to Register on the top menu bar.
How do I edit my profile?
To edit your profile login then whilst in your profile click on the ‘Edit’ tab and then the ‘Profile’ option. Here you can edit your existing profile, then click on ‘Save’ to continue.
What does it mean by offering help to others on specific tools?
When you are a registered user on the website you can see which users are offering help on specific tools and you can also offer to help yourself.
If you offer help on a particular tool another user can send you a private message within the website asking for some help with how to use the tool or get started. When someone has asked for help you will be sent an email telling you that you have received a private message. You will then need to login to the website to view the message and reply.
How can I offer help to others on particular tools?
To offer help to other users on specific tools you must first be logged in.
Go to a tool that you wish to offer help on. Click on the ‘I can offer help with this’ button at the top of the page on the right-hand side of the screen.
When you click on the button it will change to ‘I no longer want to offer help’. This allows you the option to stop offering help with that tool at any time.
To view all the tools you have said you are happy to offer help on then go to your Profile by clicking on ‘My account’ at the top right hand-side of any page.
How do I ask someone for help on a particular tool?
To ask for help from other users on specific tools you must first be logged in.
Go to a tool that you would like help with. On the right hand side you will see 'Users who can help with this tool'. Click on the name of someone you would like help from.
You will then be shown their profile page. Where it shows 'Tools I'm happy to help with:' click on the name of the tool you need help with.
You will now be presented with a screen where you can write and send a message to that person asking for help.
The person who you have asked for help will receive an email telling them that they have a new message. It is up to them to then reply to your request for help.
How do I share a tool?
If you use a certain tool or website that is not currently on the website you can add it so the site by using the ‘Share’ section and ‘Add a Tool’ button.
You can also add a tool from any of the tool pages by clicking on the ‘Add a Tool’ button on the left-hand side of the screen.
Click on ‘Add a Tool’ and you will be asked for:
- Title or name of the tool
- The website address or URL
- A description of what the tool is about and what it can be used for
- The main benefits of using the tool
- Any considerations or limitations to using the tool
- The cost
- Time to get started
- A link to any help pages for help with getting started
- A link to a video on help with getting started
- Once you have added this information then click on Save to upload.
Please note that the tool will not show immediately on the website but will be moderated first by Online Centres Foundation. We will aim to add the tool to the site as quickly as we can.
How do I share a case study?
If you use a particular tool and want to tell and inspire other people to do the same then you can add a short case study on how you use it and what the benefits have been to you or your organisation.
Before adding you case study you will need to have the following things ready:
- A written case study. To make this easier we can provided a template that you can use. Please click here to request a form.
- A picture to display with your case study (must be less than 2Mb)
- A short video explaining how you have used the tool to make your community activity easier and why it has been useful. (30 secs minimum - 3 mins max please)
- Make sure the tool already exists on the website. If not you will need to add it first using the ‘Add a Tool’ button in the ‘Share’ section.
Once you have these ready just got to the ‘Share’ section on the website and select ‘Add a case study’.
Next follow these steps:
- Enter the Title for your case study, for example ‘Oakwood Community Centre using Twitter to reach new audiences’.
- Enter the main text for your case study story. If you have used the template simply copy and paste the questions and answers in here.
- Click on ‘Next page’
- Video - here you can enter a title and the link for the video you have created.
- Page image - here you can upload the image to sit with your case study.
- Tool - select which Tool you want your case study to link to.
Click Save to upload your case study.
Please note that your case study will not appear immediately as it will need to be moderated by OCF prior to it being published. We aim to publish all case studies as quickly as we can.
How can I join a discussion?
You can view any of the discussion topics or discussion around any of the tools, case studies or new stories by clicking on them from the ‘Discuss’ page.
To add a comment you must be a registered user and be logged in.
You can also add comments directly on the relevant page, so on the actual tool, case study or news item page. Scroll down to view the comments and discussion.
How do I start a new discussion topic?
You must be a registered user and be logged in to add a new general discussion topic.
Simply click on the ‘Add a new general discussion topic’ in the ‘General discussion section on the ‘Discuss’ page.